Thursday, February 4, 2010

I have a beagle and I'm wondering if it's true that some dogs have a false heat then a real one later?

She had only a week long heat in march from start to finish (that inludes the male dog was only crazy for a week). Now she is showing signs of being pregnant the first milk and a slightly swollen belly. The down fall is that for 3 weeks in may only my 6 year old took care of the dogs I had surgery. So there was time for this to happen. Just wondering if anyone knows.I have a beagle and I'm wondering if it's true that some dogs have a false heat then a real one later?
Very possible. It doesn't take very long.I have a beagle and I'm wondering if it's true that some dogs have a false heat then a real one later?
I'm confused. Did she have a short heat in March or May? And were you basing the heat cycle on her discharge? Many dogs have a bloody discharge at the beginning of their cycle (up to 10 days from the beginning) then the discharge will stop. At that point she is ready to breed. Once she is bred, her heat cycle will stop.


If she was in heat in March, she's having a false pregnancy. If she was in heat in May, she's probably pregnant. With some dogs, a false pregnancy can result in developing milk %26amp; acting like she's nesting. The best thing to do is get her into the vet %26amp; have them check her out. That way if it's false, they can give her something to stop the milk development but if she's pregnant, they'll be able to tell you how far along %26amp; how many there are. Hope this helps.
Sometimes a dog will have ';split seasons'; (only ovulate on one side at a time)


Other times they can have ';false pregnancy's';


So anything is possable

No comments:

Post a Comment